Wednesday, 30 September 2015

A Yellow Rose


Above is a petal from a yellow rose my Grandpa received whilst he stayed in a care home before he passed away, it was given to him as gift from a friend when they visited who picked it from their garden. The first time I saw the rose it was bright, freshly grown and full of beauty that could only be found from a rose. It's odd to think that if I didn't nosy around my Grandpa's room I wouldn't have even noticed it, and even if I didn't the rose would have still been working its individual rose magic. 

Our last visit to the room, where the rose was ageing on it's lonesome, was filled with silence. We packed away remnants of a life which came free with familiar smells and memories. It was almost like a backwards room tour as instead of entering something new and learning all the sentimental value of every crevice in a space, we were returning the space before it had gained it's value. A new beginning. Suddenly I saw the yellow petals mixed between the bin bags and picked it up, deciding to keep it home. 

I'm not entirely sure why I was so intrigued by the rose, perhaps I was just being superficial and liked the idea of having something pretty to look at whilst lazing in my room. However, there is no denying that the rose reminded me of my Grandpa in some ways: he was a wonderful man, who grew popular in the community by his singing and by being extremely likeable. Even if you didn't know him, that did not stop him being his wonderful self. Even if he can't continue his virtues, they still exists in the memories of others.  

Rest In Peace.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you and your family are all doing okay (well as okay as you can be) with your loss, it's good to remember the good things!:) (I don't know if this was a helpful comment or patronising but I mean it in a good way and really do hope you're doing okay)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby, don't worry it didn't come out patronising, just good! x

      zingerbee.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  2. I hope you are doing okay with this loss. It's always sad to let loved ones go and then it helps sometimes to hold on to items (or plants) we associate with them.

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it!! x

      Delete
  3. I am sorry for your loss and I hope you are okay. The post you wrote is so beautiful and full of emotions, thank you for sharing this. I still remember when I went through the same thing and I wouldn't talk to anybody about it. It was a bad decision, it's better to share.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah it's never good to bottle things up x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I always reply and I love to read your comments! have a nice day :)